People often ask me what they should shop for at the beginning of each season. They want to know what the staples are, like if you had to start all over for that season, what are the essential on trend items. Typically when I shop with a client for a new season, we will go through the a list of staples for the season and see what she has and what she doesn’t have. Then we move forward from there. So, here are my top 10 staples for this fall and winter:
- Black skinny jeans (yes, skinny- they are still in style;))- My clients and I have a favorite pair (here), but I wanted something a little different this year, so I went with these (here).
- Skinny blue jeans– A jean you can wear with booties and a sweater but that can also be dressed down with flats/sneakers. You don’t want them to be too dark or too light, so they are versatile.
- Black leather jacket– I have this one and love it, but I have seen both of these on and they fit great (here and here).
- Black flats– These are coming on strong this season. I have last years version of these.
- Brown booties– These are always a crowd pleaser. I think it has something to do with where they hit on the ankle.
- Black pants– A nice pair of black pants to wear when jeans are not appropriate, but you don’t feel like wearing a skirt.
- Holiday dress– This can be worn to church but also to a cocktail reception. The more basic the better. But if you have only one holiday party to attend, look for a fun one!
- Holiday skirt– I like this leather pleated one, and I also like this pretty ruffle one.
- Black heels– A nice pair of black heels to wear to holiday outings. I have a pair like this, and they are classic. They can go with jeans just as easily as a cocktail dress. I also have these black heels like these that I wear all the time in the winter for an edgier look.
- Black Coat– There are all different styles of black coats to consider, but you can never go wrong with a classic black coat. I couldn’t help myself during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, I purchased this one.
Nice to have:
- Grey jeans
- Sneakers- black high tops and slide ons
- Dark flare jean– If you are wanting something a little different to wear when you dress up casually, the dark flare jean is it for this season.
- Everyday Sweaters –Trouve grey v-neck
(Photo by Traci Ling)