Imagine going to a fund raising event for your child’s school where there are lots of parties and events to sign up for to raise money for the school, and one of them is called a “Fall Fashion Frenzy” party. This is a party where a Houston stylist is going to tell you her ten favorite things for the fall. Well, I’m pretty sure I would think that sounded terrible, and I wouldn’t sign up to have someone to tell me what is in and what is out for the fall. I mean, I would probably have something on that she hates! Well, luckily for me, these ladies weren’t as narrow minded as I might have been. Maybe some of them read the blog and know that’s not my style, and maybe some of them are just brave and sweet. Either way, I want to thank the moms who signed up to attend- I had the best time. You guys were so down to earth and had lots of really great questions! Here’s what I shared:
From left to right:
1.) Stripes– I had an epiphany recently while in a client’s closet that has solidified my love for stripes. As we were going through her closet, I was ogling her pretty floral and graphic print shirts, but she told me that while she loved them when she bought them, she was now sick of them. Ah-ha! The same thing happens to me! But, guess what I don’t get sick of? Stripes. They are a classic. That’s why I spent money on this one (it’s my uniform), and why I just bought this one (for fun).
2.) Steamer– I store this steamer under my bathroom sink. I use it ALL the time. It takes less than a minute to produce steam and is small enough to hold in my hand with ease! It saves me from having to find an entirely new outfit when the shirt/skirt/dress I want to wear is wrinkled. It also saves me when I purchase clothes online, and I need to remove the fold marks.
3. Rep lip color– This season, the red lip is back. Any kind of red lip, even the dark red lip of the 90’s, is in. I have two favorite red lip colors, Nars Dragon Girl (if you want to be more daring) and Nars Hyde Park (less daring and easy to wear everyday).
4. Cheek stain– Flushed pink cheeks that look like you just finished a run are also in vogue this season. I have been using this cheek stain for as long as I can remember (over 10 years?), and I’m still using the same one. Now if that’s not the epitome of a favorite thing, I don’t know what is. I use the shade pink raspberry.
5. Dainty jewelry – The fashion pendulum is always swinging… You know how we were loving our chunky stacks and big chunky jewelry? Well, the fashion people are swinging the pendulum the other way, and the jewelry is more dainty this season. Now, I was wearing chunky jewelry at the talk, so that’s not to say chunky is out and you can’t wear it. It’s just that if you are wanting to purchase a few new accessories for this season, you might consider purchasing some dainty pieces.
6. Waistless, free form dresses– There is usually a certain silhouette or shape of dress that is the style of the season. It seems that the waistless, free form dress is the silhouette of the fall. I love this dress from Free People (you’ve seen it here), and I recently purchased this one. At the talk, we discussed how certain shapeless dresses can make you look pregnant, or short and stocky. We also talked about how you can avoid those certain shapeless dresses, and how elongating is key for this trend (putting on a heel, have a v-neck, adding a pendant necklace, etc.).
7. Saddle Bag– It seems that the saddle bag is the “it” bag of the season. I’m reading about it everywhere! I think it has to do with the fact that we all fell in love with the Chloe saddle bag, and now we are seeing other designers bring out their version. I went for a classic saddle bag in what seemed like the classic look of a saddle (similar) -ha! But stay posted for more on my favorite saddle bags of the season!
8. Well fitting pair of jeans– If you are going to buy a pair of colored jeans this season, you can’t go wrong with grey! What I talked about at the event was that most of the time women wear their jeans too big. A lot of times, when I’m fitting a client in a pair of jeans, we go down two sizes from where they thought they were. You can really update your look with a well fitting pair of jeans. Trust the sales associate and don’t go up a size!
9. A statement shoe– I was invited to an event recently, and the attire was “dress to turn heads”. After I sighed and got a little irritated (it felt like a lot of pressure), I changed my attitude. They put this on the invitation for fun, and that’s exactly what I was going to do- have fun figuring out my outfit! After all, I do love to get dressed up! So when in doubt, go with your little black dress, right?!? And that’s what I did, but I added a fun statement shoe! When I saw them in the Nordstrom catalog, I knew they were perfect- just the “shoe to turn heads” -ha!
10. Outside of the box shoe– I think one of the easiest ways to update your look is to wear a pair of shoes that is a little outside of your box. This varies for different people, and that’s ok. For me, the box keeps getting bigger, but I decided to try loafers. They are really in style this season, so why not got with black patent leather loafers?! Ha! But for you, Converse may be outside your box, or high tops, or slip ons… Whatever shoe it is for you, try it for fun!