In the spirit of getting us ready for our holiday parties, I thought I’d talk about the 5 items in my wardrobe that are in constant use during this dressy season (really anytime I get dressed up). If you ask me, there are 5 staples items to get you holiday ready! If you’re finding it difficult to complete your look for your holiday parties, one of these might be your missing piece. See which staple I’m giving away to you and one of your girlfriends, and congratulations to our Instagram winner from Friday’s post!
1. Black suede pump– Why suede you ask? It’s the most versatile material. You can wear it to a black tie event just as easily as you can wear it with jeans. If I came to your closet and you didn’t have a pair of black suede pumps, I would put them on your “needs” list! These Charles by Charles David Pumps are a great value, and I like the low sides! I also like the d’Orsay look of these and if you need a lower heel, I like these. Here are a few ways I’ve worn them: a black tie look here, a business look here, and a casual look here.
2. Statement earrings– You can make any outfit dressy just by adding a statement earring. Throw on some black skinny jeans, a black silk top or even that old LBD (little black dress) that you have had for years, add the statement earring, and you’re done! They can also take your already dressy outfit up a notch. I have quite a few statement earring I love, and you can see how they’ve completed my outfits here and here.
3. Statement necklace– I remember the first time I bought a statement necklace. I wasn’t so sure about the concept, but I knew I needed a dressy necklace. In fact, I did a post on it. Well, I can definitely say that I’m a huge fan of the statement necklace. It can elevate your look with very little effort. One of my favorite things to do is wear a statement necklace with a dress that you wouldn’t normally think you’d wear one with, like I did here and here. I also like this necklace and if you want to splurge, this statement necklace is amazing!
4. Black clutch– Most everyone has a black clutch, but do you have a versatile black clutch? The black clutch I consistently reach for is a black satin envelope clutch from J. Crew Factory that I got years ago (it desperately needs to be replaced). The reason I reach for it so often is because the satin material makes it versatile. It can easily be worn with black tie attire and just as easily with my jeans. I see this glittery clutch being just as versatile and not to mention, really festive! It’s so festive, I bought it, and I’m buying one for you and a girlfriend, too!! If you want a neutral but you already have black, gold and animal print would work, too!
5. Black coat– I know you’re all saying, “really- a black coat?!?”, but think about it. You are all dressed in your cocktail/black tie dresses or your really nice blouse and pants. You are not wearing layers, because you are dressy. You think, “oh shoot! I’m going to be freezing!”, so you grab a wrap or shawl…and you will still be freezing! Well folks, this is why you need a black coat (even if you live in Texas). I’m telling you, you will thank me. I feel like this is my public service announcement for this season, because I also posted about this necessity here. I must be serious! Ha!
For more holiday dress inspiration click here and here.
Don’t forget to enter the giveaway below! You increase your chances for every item you do!
Sheaffer Sims says
Great post and an awesome giveaway!!!!
I love love C Style.
Mary Ellen Ward says
Love your ideas on using statement pieces in more casual ways, as well. It helps for those special nights with friends that you want to feel fabulous, but not over done!