What are the 10 basic pieces you need in your fall wardrobe? When helping a client get ready for the upcoming season, one of the first things we would do before shopping was take an inventory of her basics. Basics are your starting points. They are what you’ll wear every day as the base of your outfit, and then you’ll add fun, trendy pieces on top. They are the essentials for your closet. A reader wrote in who is re-building her wardrobe (after losing it in Harvey) and asked for some guidance on what items she should have for fall. I’m honored she asked!
Here are the 10 fall essentials to have in your closet:
- A black skirt (my favorite here): I’ve been surprised how many times I’ve worn this skirt.
- A pair of black pants and/or black jeans (my favorites here and here)
- A basic white/cream blouse (my favorites here and here): I’ve worn this blouse so many times, I’ve lost count. I’ve worn it tucked into jeans with animal print shoes and under a blazer tucked into a skirt.
- A black blazer or black jacket (my favorites here and here): Sometimes you can get away with wearing a black leather jacket instead of a black blazer for an entire season.
- A pair of basic blue jeans (my favorites here and here)
- A basic sweater (my favorite here): I usually have a black, grey or navy sweater that I wear a ton during one season. I’ll splurge a little on this item (sold out) because I know I’ll wear it all the time, and I love comfy, cozy sweaters.
- A black or brown boot and/or black flats (my favorites here and here)
- A black heel (my favorites here and here)
- A camisole or two (my favorites here and here): I’ve been surprised how much I wear my black silk camisole. It’s the one shirt that always works when nothing else does.
- A turtleneck or two (my favorite here): I love these specific turtlenecks because they’re not too heavy and bulky. I love the simple look of a turtleneck with jeans and loafers. You can even layer a turtleneck under a sleeveless dress to continue wearing it later in the season.
- A black coat (my favorite here): This is a debatable essential if you’ve lived in Houston the last couple of years, but I sure have been happy I have it when I travel.
Here are my favorite fun, trendy items to layer with your basics:
- a pop of red (my favorites here, here and here)
- camo (my favorite here)
- animal print (my favorite here)
- chambray (my favorite here)
- neutral pants (my favorite here)
- black coated denim (my favorite here)
My favorite bags for the fall are here!
My all time favorite beauty item is here!
I would like to see the turtlenecks put together with an outfit. I think we all have turtlenecks (I’ve got fitted ones, loose ones, thin ones, thick ones, ones with big necks and ones with little necks) and I feel a little reluctant wearing them sometimes since they are so “timeless” they also remind us of each and every decade (in a negative way).
Can you recommend a white “no-iron” button down? I’m looking for a sleeveless one to wear under sweaters, and I can’t find a good one anywhere!!!
Carly Lee says
Hmmmmm, I can’t think of one off the top of my head, but I’ll be on the look out for you.
BREANNE THOMAS says
I would love a no iron option too! THANKS!!
Michelle Burgener says
I have a white button down from Brooks Brothers that I absolutely love! It’s a “no iron” and has French cuffs for some extra pizzaz on a basic white button down. I’m not sure if they still carry it, as I’ve had mine for a few years – still looks great!
Carly Lee says
I’m going to check it out! Thank you, Michelle!